Paytm is currently the largest mobile payments and digital wallet provider company in India. It initially started off as online bill payments and mobile recharge service, and since then, its list of features and services has expanded quite rapidly.
Users can now use Paytm as a digital wallet to recharge metro cards, pay tuition fee, make insurance payments, and even as a bank.
With the money in the wallet, users can pay for various goods and services without using cash. All you need is to set up an account (which is 100% free) via your mobile phone number and email. Once done you can use this platform to receive money into the wallet. Once the money is in the wallet, you can transfer it to other users by either entering their phone number or by scanning the QR code.
The company claims to have over 200 million users, which makes it the biggest online payments platform in India. According to an article from Forbes, Paytm can reach a valuation of $20-billion US dollars
What is Paytm?
It stands for “Pay Through Mobile”. It’s mainly a digital payments platform that lets users transfer money into their integrated wallet through online banking, credit cards, debit cards, or bank deposits from select partners.
Headquartered in Noida (India), Vijay Shankar Sharma founded this company back in 2010 by investing his own $2-million.
Among the kinds of transactions, you can make includes recharges for metro cards, mobile phones, data cards, DTH cable, and postpaid payments for broadband/landline, mobile phones, utilities, etc. It also lets you book flights, trains, buses, hotel rooms, movies, and even pay for Uber rides. And you can also purchase goods on their in-house e-commerce platform using the wallet, and make offline payments to select merchants.
How to Permanently Delete Paytm Account
Recently, there have been lots of controversies on Paytm with reports claiming that they sold their user data to third parties for various purposes like political, etc. The data mainly included user email addresses, their contact numbers, and other “important” private data.
According to a few reports, the data were sold to the ruling party of India during the time of protests and riots. All these controversies and reports since the past few months have led to the #DeletePaytm movement on Twitter and various other social media platforms.
Since it’s clear that Paytm can provide sensitive user data to the government when asked to, many users are seriously considering to either remove their KYC or deleting their accounts on this platform altogether.
Unfortunately, Paytm doesn’t make the account deletion process easy for its users. If you have Paytm app installed in your smartphone, you will notice that there is absolutely no option to deactivate or close your account. The same is true on their website.
But don’t worry, in this guide I have discussed 3 working methods to help you delete Paytm account. Just follow the steps properly and if you face any issues, share it with me in the comment section.
1. Android Users Follow This Step
Follow the steps listed in the section only if you are an Android smartphone user.
- Open the Paytm app in your android smartphone. Now you click on the menu (≡) located at the right top corner in your screen.
- From the list, find and click on the “24/7 Help” option.
- Now click on the “more products and services” button. The list will expand giving you more options.
- Scroll the list till you find the “profile settings” option and then click on it.
- Click on the “I need to permanently close/delete my account” option.
- Click on “I have lost my phone / forfeited my number”.
- Scroll till you find the “Issue not solved?” section. Under it, you will see “Message Us” button, click it.
- Now, you need to message the support asking them to “close your account permanently”.
- Once, you have entered your message, you need to tap on the blue colored “Send” button.
You will have to wait for a minimum of 3-days to get a response from the support team. They might ask you a few questions related to the issues you are facing. You can provide them with any reason and then they will proceed with your request.
2. Block Paytm Account in iOS
Please follow the steps listed below in the proper sequence. If this step doesn’t work, you can try the 3rd method.
- Open the official Paytm app installed on your iOS device.
- Make sure that you’re logged in to your account, and then tap on the menu (≡) icon located at the top left-hand side of the app.
- Click on and enter your Profile
- Click on the 24/7 Help option.
- Within the 24/7 Help Section, you’ll find another option with the following message “What can we help you with”. Under this, you will find various categories but you need to scroll down until you see “More Products and Services” option. Once you find it, click on it.
- Under the “More Products and Services” panel you need to scroll down till you find the “Profile Settings” option.
- Click on the “Profile Settings” and you will get four more options. You need to click on the third option which has following message “I need to permanently delete/close my account”.
- Once you click on the 3rd option a new panel will open where you will find a bunch of pre-defined options. Choose the one that fits best to your situation.
- Once you have made your selection, another panel will open. Again, you have to scroll down till you find “Message Us” button.
- Click on the “Message Us” button and you will see a small contact form. You have to type in the message explaining the issue you are facing. You can even attach screenshots to better explain your problem.
- Once you have your message ready, you need to click on the “Send” button. Within a few days (typically 3 business days) you should receive a message from the customer care team.
3. Use The Official Website
- Visit the official Paytm site and then log in to the site.
- Click on this link (self-care) and then click on “My Account” button.
- Under “Select your issue category” you need to click on the “I need to permanently close/delete my account” button.
- Click on ” I have issues in using services”. You can choose any option but I will recommend choosing this option.
- You will get a few suggestions. Skip them and scroll down.
- Click on “Message Us” button.
- Describe your issue and then click on the “Submit your query” button. You will get a response from the support team in 3 working days.
If the support team asks any questions, just give them a genuine reason and they will definitely close your account.
If you properly follow the steps listed in this guide, I am quite sure it will help you delete paytm account permanently. Still, if you are facing any problem, I am always ready to help you out. Let me know your questions in the comment area.